Sunday, November 27, 2005


Letter from Father Kinerk
September 2005

Dear Friend of Rockhurst:
I am writing to give you an update on Rockhurst University. In late August Rockhurst welcomed one of its largest freshman classes in its history, as 370 freshmen joined 110 transfer students to swell our enrollment. This is the third large increase in the past three years. We have gone from 214 to 244 to 306 and now to 370.
Furthermore, the academic qualifications of our classes have also improved. The average ACT score of our new freshmen class is 25 (a 25 places a student in the top 18% of college bound seniors.)

Shortly after school began we watched with horror the tragedy in New Orleans and along the Gulf Coast. Like you, Rockhurst has tried to respond. We have accepted, at no cost, 27 students from New Orleans colleges and universities. The largest number came from our sister Jesuit school, Loyola University New Orleans, but we have also received students from Tulane, Xavier and Dillard. In addition, Rockhurst students have collected clothing, blankets, money and water. Some of these materials have already gone south through the good work of several of our Regents. Rockhurst has also offered three of our rental houses for the use of evacuees at no charge.

The increase in numbers has brought parking to the fore again. We have just opened a temporary lot south of the campus for about 40 cars. We are also opening a lot on Troost on the site the old Jimmy’s restaurant. This will add about 48 spaces. Finally, we are planning to expand the parking in front of one of the residence halls. This expansion hit a snag last summer when exceptional costs put the project on hold.

We continue to raise money for the recreation/wellness center. A series of luncheons has brought many supporters on campus to hear about Rockhurst and to listen to our appeal for help. To date we have raised a little over $3.5 million.

On a more personal note, I want to tell you that this will be my final year at Rockhurst. It is a tremendous privilege to serve as president of the university I attended, and I cherish the relationships I have made both on campus and with each of you. Improvement in facilities and enrollment, and a strengthening of our sense of mission and identity have positioned Rockhurst for a very positive future; a new president will bring talents and insight to guide our growth. I have been at Rockhurst for eight years and I will be nearly 63 by the end of this academic year. No, I am not ready to retire but I believe that I should take on something new now while I still have the “youth” and energy to do so. I will continue at Rockhurst until June of 2006. Following that, I expect to take a sabbatical, after which I will receive a new assignment from the Jesuit Provincial.


I informed the Board of Trustees of my decision at our September 24 meeting. The board is responsible for finding my successor and has established a search committee headed by Mr. Clyde Wendel, Vice Chair of the Rockhurst Board and President, Kansas City Region of Bank of America.

Thank you for all that you do for Rockhurst.
Edward Kinerk, S.J.President

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home